Saturday, November 10, 2012

Exploring the Districts: Akihabara (秋葉原)

Hello! Today we went to Akihabara, and it was my first time there! I remember researching about this interesting district in Tokyo when I was studying Japanese in high school. Some impressions I had about this place before I came here are otaku and lots and lots of anime haha. Otaku's are pretty much guys who just watch anime/read manga all day and are sometimes considered "perverted" - but that is part of the Japanese culture: little boys read etchy manga on the trains with nothing to hide! So this district is definitely an insight into popular Japanese culture that almost everyone goes crazy for: anime, manga, dressing up as your favorite character !

Here are just some pictures of the district: 




Oh my goshhhh! my favorite Rilakkuma <3

There was a flea market too, selling anime toys and plushies for cheap. We suspect that a lot of these toys come from crane machines "UFO catchers" - these guys much be pros in grabbing toys from those machines!!

Inside the UDX building, there was an exhibit featuring the newest anime and manga. These people are lining up to drop off their surveys, hoping to win a prize!!


Original, first editions of Doraemon manga!!

Although I wasn't able to take pictures of otaku, I always have pictures of food and dessert! This is a chestnut flavored ice cream cone thingy topped with more chestnut flavored whip cream AND real chestnuts - for them real chestnut lovers (aka me)!

Akihabara is also famous as the "electrical town" - there are many stores filled with gadgets for your cell phones, batteries for cameras, anything related to electronics - they have !